The mother-kangaroo method (MMC) originated in 1979 in Colombia, due to the lack of incubators and other material resources for newborns.
Subsequently, numerous studies have shown that it is an effective method, not only for premature infants, but also for term newborns who, due to health problems, must remain in the neonatal units, thus separating themselves from their parents shortly after birth.
Currently this method is a technique endorsed by WHO as more than an alternative to incubator care.
The mother-kangaroo method is an easy procedure to carry out, which produces great benefits for the newborn and the mother. It is the continuous skin-to-skin contact between mother or father and child. In addition, it promotes early discharge, encouraging the continuity of such care at home.
Benefits for the baby:
- Temperature stabilization.
- Regular and deep breathing, decreasing the periods of apnea characteristic of the premature.
- Heart rate stabilization.
- Prolongation of rest periods, favouring deep sleep and quiet alert periods.
- Stimulation of the senses: auditory, with the maternal voice, olfactory and tactile, when in contact with the maternal body, visual and vestibular stimulation, when being on the maternal thorax.
- Decrease in stress caused by exposure to the environment.
- Decrease in pain caused by bloody techniques.
- Reduction of mother-child separation.
- Greater confidence and involvement in your child’s care.
- Increase of affective bonds and feeling of accomplishment.
- Improved confidence in the management and care of the newborn.
- Better response to situations of emotional stress.
- Decrease in anxiety.
- The mother, being able to be substituted by the father.
- Comfortable and not excessively tight clothing. There are specific bands to perform the CMM, not essential.
- Comfortable reclining seat.
- Environmental temperature 22-24ºC, so the newborn will not need any type of clothing, except the diaper, being also recommended the use of a hat, and optional socks.
- Once the child is skin on, we will cover it with a blanket.